[wsfii-discuss] MRS spec @ WSFII

Ben Gimpert ben at somethingmodern.com
Thu Jul 21 05:24:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 03:36:26AM -0700, Jo Walsh wrote:

> Re inter-lets networking, i wonder what the use cases are; i hear
> suggestions of a consensus that direct exchange of currencies is
> probably not a good idea. but how does one 'build in' imperviousness
> to a secondary currency speculation market, futures in relative values
> or what have you?

Why would such a secondary market be a bad thing?  Remembering that the derivative "financial" instruments would be based upon community-established notion of real value (i.e. a man-hour), not upon a speculative (i.e. non-silver or gold backed) state's currency.  Personally, I'd love to be able to "buy" (i.e. commit some of my own man-hours) a LETS option that would "earn" (i.e. receive someone else's man-hours) if my local neighborhood's LETS currency increases in relative value (i.e. mine is a neighborhood of carpenters when suddenly woodworking becomes all the rage).

Spending too much time in The City?

	Ben