[wsfii-discuss] MRS spec @ WSFII

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Jul 21 10:36:26 UTC 2005

hello,
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 12:46:20AM +0200, Harm Lübben wrote:
> i've seen a track dealing with Cclite at the prep meeting for the Wsfii.
> after getting some other jobs done, but what about discussing this at
> the WSFII in London to get this towards a real standard for Inter-LETS
> networking? (some help from Hugh and Richard appreciated)

This would definitely be great. For those missing the context, WSFII
is at http://www.wsfii.org/ . The 1-2 October will be a weekend of
scheduled presentations and short special interest meetings; the week
leading up to that and some of the week after will be space and
facilities for workshops, at least one on documenting and propagating
freenetworks and another on creating and sharing free-of-copyright maps.

I have heard recently about a grassroots community currencies
conference in Colorado coming up soon:
http://dev.openmoney.org/tiki-index.php?page=Denver+2005

My malleable plan as WSFII co-organiser is to wait-and-see what
results technically from the Denver meeting, and gauge interest from
euro-based people who could't make it there, in coming to London
around 1-5 October, for a one- or two-day workshop after the
'conference' weekend. I would like to see position papers, even short
one-page ones, from attendees.

WSFII is a volunteer run 'grassroots' effort, we will provide food and
access to the sofa network but can't support travel expenses, though i
would be interested to hear from any org that had a committment to
this domain and could sponsor a few cheap flights / train fares.
There will probably be a token 10UKP participation charge which will
buy the user a number of 'Limes', the community currency which we are
trying to create for the area and help bootstrap with WSFII.

Re inter-lets networking, i wonder what the use cases are; i hear
suggestions of a consensus that direct exchange of currencies is
probably not a good idea. but how does one 'build in' imperviousness
to a secondary currency speculation market, futures in relative values
or what have you?

-jo