[wsfii-discuss] Fwd: [isf-vol] Fwd: [wirelesstoronto-discuss] [Fwd: Re: [Locative] Micro London]

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:09:02 UTC 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marc Laporte <marclaporte at avantech.net>
Date: Jun 23, 2005 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: [isf-vol] Fwd: [wirelesstoronto-discuss] [Fwd: Re:
[Locative] Micro	London]
To: Jo Walsh <jo at frot.org>
Cc: Michael Lenczner <mlenczner at gmail.com>, Franck Martin
<franck at sopac.org>, Daniel Lemay <daniel at enfin-linux.com>,
"admin at tikiwiki.org" <admin at tikiwiki.org>, Luis Fagundes
<lfagundes at utopia.com.br>, mdavey <tiki at coderage.org>, Maya Wiseman
<maya at scriptshifter.com>, fproulx at lecameleon.net

Hi Jo,

When I see a message about "developing" things that include:

*wiki
*geowiki (cool word!)
*shared calendar information
*geocoded RSS
*post pictures
*tags
*custom 'spatial portal' page for each access point

I feel compelled to write :-)  These are things that Tiki CMS/Groupware
does, wants to do, or wants to do better ;-)

Tiki is an actively developed, full featured Open Source
Wiki/CMS/Groupware. A few links:

5th most popular PHP application on Freshmeat:
http://unix.freshmeat.net/browse/183/

To give you an idea of high activity level:
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/tikiwiki

TikiMap:
http://tikiwiki.org/TikiMap  with Mapserver

Tiki has a very powerful wiki, an image gallery, full RSS handling, an
event calendar and many many other features.  Where it becomes
interesting is the tight links/integration between features. For
example, it is possible to assign Latitude & Longitude to users &
images. Tags are in the works for the next release.

Ilesansfil.org (the people behind WiFiDog) has migrated its website &
wiki to Tiki CMS/Groupware. Down the road, we will be looking into ways
to further enhance the user experience by a tighter integration of
WiFiDog and Tiki CMS/Groupware.

http://nycwireless.net also uses Tiki and is getting their own auth
server and hotspot system set up now.

Also, Michael Lenczner wrote:

>yup.  we've been talking to these guys:
>http://buddyspace.sourceforge.net/
> because of their interesest in geo-aware chatting.  i'll let people
>know if we get anywhere interesting.

I think there is a lot of synergy between all these projects.

What do you think?

Best regards,

--
M ;-)