[wsfii-discuss] fantasy budget for an open geodata track / workshop

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Sun Jun 26 21:55:12 UTC 2005

hi Jo,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 01:04:28PM -0700, Jo Walsh wrote:
> Per UK-based attendee, 100UKP per person (20/day expenses + 40 train fare)
> Per EU-based attendee, 180UKP per person (20/day expenses + 100 plane fare + 20 train fare)
> Per non-EU based attendee, 400UKP per person (60 expenses + 320 plane fare + 20 train fare)
>

> BEST CASE BUDGET
>
> 2x non-EU based people		800
> 4x EU based people		720
> 8x UK based people		800
> 				 2320
>
> Contingency			280
> 				 2600

This sounds fine, although I'd up the per-diem to 40/day - if you're
buying 3 meals and 4 litres of caffinated drinks every day, £20 is
starvation wages. Of course, for wsfii, we hope to have an alternative
currency active and in use in the cafes around limehouse town hall... so
it won't be necessary to use money, just to do your *community service*
for food  and coffee :)

The question, more precisely, is who should we pay to come?

Who can resource themselves? Who is most hard-up?

It seems to me that non-uk people, particularly people from places with
shit economies are most likely to need support, and students, and people
who are just skint because they spent all their highly employable time
writing free software. Since none of the organisers are being paid, and
the whole thing is one big voluntary effort, asking employed, relatively
solvent uk people to pay their own way is fine in my book... people
aren't expecting to be paid to present at what-the-hack or open-tech...

Who, in your dream gis track, would be there, and which of those can't
resource their own attendance (accommodation, and meals, of course, we
will try to take care of).

Previous years of free network meetings have been almost entirely
peer-resourced (well, I never got paid to go!)

I don't see why we should professionalise it this year. Or am I missing
the point? That's entirely possible.

S.