[wsfii-discuss] pre- announcement todo

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Mar 4 16:25:58 UTC 2005

Julian Priest wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Great to see the ideas of the last few days coming up and I've just
> been talking to Juergen about it all. He says he's happy with hosting
> the 2005 event in London and likes the way its shaping up.
>
> Also pls see below messages between Juergen and Arun about the 2006
> event with Arun confirming that they would like to host it in India,
> possibly in November. I also yesterday spoke to the Open Society
> Institute and they signalled that they would be very interested in
> getting involved in funding the 2006 event with its strong development
> agenda which is all good.
>
> Therefore if there are no objections we can now go ahead and announce
> both events to a wider group of people maybe starting with potential
> participants and spreading out slowly.

Sounds good.

> Here's what we thought should probably be included in an announcement
> but we need to figure out a bit of detail.

> 0. Titles for both events
>
> wsfii-europe
> wsfii-2005

For what it is worth i think this is the best

> wsfii-prepcom
> wsfii-01
> wsfii
> wsfii-2006
> others?
>
> 1. wsfii2005 format
>
> A week of workshops/sprint followed by a 2 day public event.
>
> 2. Dates
>
>    September 2005
> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
>              1  2  3
>  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
> 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
> 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
> 25 26 27 28 29 30
>
> I'd say 5th -> 9th workshop 10th -> 11th public event would be the
> obvious dates - Anyone else have any ideas? Are there any clashing
> 'must see' things then?

Not that I know of /currently/. The sooner we announce (or at least
circulate the suggestion the sooner we would find out)

> 3. Registration
>
> Should there be a registration fee? Juergen suggested that they had
> good experience with a very small registration fee (10 euros) in
> Djursland which meant that they got an accurate idea of who was going
> to come. Do we want to do this or is it gratis? Where can people
> register? Do people sub to a list at this point or do we need a form
> somewhere?

I'm ambivalent on this and open to views either way.

> 4. wsfii 2006 to be held in India
>
> We just need to say that the first event is a preparatory one for the
> 2006 event, but leave all details out.
>
> 5. Anything else?

Not at this preliminary stage though it might be useful to start
sketching the kind of forums/events we would hold and potential speakers
so that we can contact them asap to ask about availability. It might be
worth doing some of this before we announce the event generally so that
we discover in advance if there are any major clashes