[wsfii-discuss] pre- announcement todo

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Sat Mar 5 06:34:48 UTC 2005

Hi Julian,

I'm on the hop, so sorry for late response.

> 0. Titles for both events

> wsfii-prepcon europe ?

> 1. wsfii2005 format
>
> A week of workshops/sprint followed by a 2 day public event.

The workshops should be organised informally. Some resources can be made
available - but it's up to each of the special interest groups coming to the
conf. to organise their own workshop stuff. We can't possibly host workshops in
all the areas for which we're hoping to attract people for WSFII, so let's not
do that.

We (meaning the Free Networks contingent) for the time being, can organise
stuff separately, but I think it's necessary to reduce the strain by focusing
all centrally organised stuff on the weekend.

> 2. Dates
>
>    September 2005
> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
>              1  2  3
>  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
> 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
> 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
> 25 26 27 28 29 30

> I'd say 5th -> 9th workshop 10th -> 11th public event would be the
> obvious dates - Anyone else have any ideas? Are there any clashing
> 'must see' things then?

I'd push towards the end of September, beginning of October. 26->30 workshops,
1->2 conference. Because it's further away and the start of September is always
manic.

> 3. Registration
>
> Should there be a registration fee? Juergen suggested that they had
> good experience with a very small registration fee (10 euros) in
> Djursland which meant that they got an accurate idea of who was going
> to come. Do we want to do this or is it gratis? Where can people
> register? Do people sub to a list at this point or do we need a form
> somewhere?

How about a deposit instead? 10 euros per head won't buy us much... and isn't a
world summit on free info infrastructures charging 10E/head a bit funny as in
beer?

> 4. wsfii 2006 to be held in India
>
> We just need to say that the first event is a preparatory one for the
> 2006 event, but leave all details out.

yes.

> 5. Anything else?

I hope it's clear that this is not a mostly Free Networks event. The week
leading up can be - but WSFII is about crossing the streams of many FIIs - and
the public bit shouldn't be overly weighted towards Free Networks... I think
this should be a central point in the communications because it's significantly
different from previous freifunk / free nets  meetings. I don't know if that
was clear. From Armin's response and yours just now I wasn't sure...

Cheers,

Saul.