[wsfii-discuss] Edited Ronja audio stream

Karel Kulhavy clock at twibright.com
Wed Oct 5 09:55:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 02:24:21AM +0200, Harm Luebben wrote:
> Karel Kulhavy wrote:
>
> >I have cropped the Ronja talk, cut off the ubiquitous spaces, errr...'s,
> >

> my shouts out to Antonio who spent the days behind the recording box,
> controlling volume etc.: hooray!
>
> ..and my recommendation to following summits: pals, you have to learn
> how to use a microphone!
> by using a cardoid mic you have to speak _into_ it: watch your favourite
> band, they're singing _towards_ the opposite end of which this cable is
> going off/on.
> otherwise you're speaking in a direction the micropohne does not listen
> to, the guy at the mixer therefore has to increase the input gain which
> results in echoy, noisy sound.

I tried to do that - it was clear to me that to avoid feedback howling
the mike has to have this characteristic and I have to speak clearly
into the end. I tried to point it at my mouth. Did I actually?

Anyway it's clipped time to time. Did the recording staff adjust the
recording gain to get rid of the clipping or did I change the loudness
of my talk too abruptly?

I was quite impressed how easy is to soup up my stutter-hesitate speech
into something fairly listenable with Audacity. Free software tools
rulez :)

Anyway at least my talk is 100% intelligible on the recording even on
such a low bitrate as 16kbps, which I consider an inevitable sign that
the recording staff did it's job well :)

Maybe next time printing A4 sheets with
1) "loudness up"
2) "loudness down"
3) "mike closer to mouth"
4) "mike more far away"
5) "point the mike at your mouth"
And someone sitting in front of the speaker and waving appropriate sheet
at him? :)

> summary: the sound on the recordings may be bad. do not blame the
> recording staff. the fact that people might program in ruby, disassemble
> weird things, start revolutions with a soldering iron, etc. does not
> mean they can stat the physics of this membrane <-> electricity thingy.
>
> just for the records
> --hl
>
> --
> Fuck art, let's rock