[wsfii-discuss] Worldchanging article on Complementary currencies

Mamading Ceesay mamading at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 12:02:30 UTC 2005

On 06/10/05, Mike Ryan <mike.ryan at redmar.com> wrote:

> I do feel I'm missing the general point
> here.

Some people are into CC for generating economic activity and
participation that otherwise might not take place.  Others because it
reflects certain values that they have.  Then there are folks like
myself who see it as just one of many tools for social change and
innovation.

> No, I'm not saying that and I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that I can't
> see the point, that's all.

Fair enough, but one thing you did say was "Nice idea to try out for a
day, or to run in a suitably sympathetic eco-system but for the real
world??" I gave two examples of long established real world examples
of CC.  I could have given more, I could have talked about the
traditional time-based complementary currency of the Balinese called
the Banjar which is used to finance communal "barn-raising" type
works.  Each village has it's own Banjar which is used alongside the
national currency but is used for different things and embodies
different values.

There is a lot of literature in print and online about CC, what it is,
why it's desirable and documenting real world case studies.
Hopefully, if you attended the Community Currencies panel you would
have gained a glimpse of some of this.  If not or if that wasn't
sufficient, I suggest you investigate further.   The article I linked
to at the very start of this thread had a number of links for further
reading.  There is an interview with Bernard Lietaer which you might
find of interest
http://www.nexuspub.com/articles/2003/july2003/interview.htm

--
Mamading Ceesay

"Isn't a state that keeps files on innocent persons a police state?"
-- David Mery - Innocent In London http://gizmonaut.net/bits/suspect.html
 Radio Interview with David Mery
http://radio.indymedia.org/news/2005/09/6963.php