[wsfii-discuss] Worldchanging article on Complementary currencies

Mike Ryan mike.ryan at redmar.com
Thu Oct 6 11:34:09 UTC 2005

>> First off, I have to say that I disagree with the need for a complimentary
>> currency.
>>

> Do you understand what "complementary" means?  It means that the
> currency can be used alongside existing currencies, rather than
> replace it.

Yes I do, which I why I made the point about multi-currency
environments in the
developing world, although like I said, I do feel I'm missing the
general point
here.

>> Why would you want to destroy the idea of people using a single currency?
>>

> Enabling people to participate within a local economy despite a lack
> of conventional employment
> Building social capital within a community
> Addressing some forms of market failure
> Keeping the benefits of economic activity within a community.
> Other reasons I don't recall at this time.

Why create a closed economy for any of these things? Let's say 1 Lime =
1 Pound
= 1 Whatever. What's the point. 1 unit = 1 amount of work for any given
individual. They will value these things the same, with the exception that a
closed currency has less value as it can't be so easily exchanged, which is
generally what happens when govts try to peg their currency at some
fixed level
within a closed marketplace.

>> I'm willing to be convinced here, but I think you're designing a
>> solution for a
>> problem that doesn't exist. Nice idea to try out for a day, or to run in a
>> suitably sympathetic eco-system but for the real world??
>>

> The CC movement isn't new.  It has many success stories including the
> WIR which accounts for billions of trading in Switzerland and the
> Ithaca Hours.  There is extensive use of CC in Japan.  Are all those
> participants in local currencies wasting their time and energy?  Has
> their economic activity been unproductive and for nothing?  I don't
> think so.

No, I'm not saying that and I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that I can't
see the point, that's all.