[wsfii-discuss] disasters and telecom

Karel Kulhavy clock at twibright.com
Sat Oct 15 20:33:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 06:02:02PM +0100, vortex wrote:

> and all your expertise and ignorant technology fetishes will help
> human suffering how?

Human suffering is caused by inability to satisfy one's basic needs.
One isn't able to satisfy them individually anymore. This inability is
caused for example by the fact that we already destroyed the landscape
and killed the animals so you just cannot go into wood and hunt animals,
because there is no wood and no animals anymore.

So if he cannot help himself alone, he needs other people. And distant
people. Even himself and his 1-kilometre surrounding is quite useless
to him. For example, you cannot grow cows on a suburb. They will refuse
to pasture on concrete. If electricity fails, the wateworks will stop
delivering water and you don't have any personal well. You won't even
be able to grow tomato. People are basically living in a dead desert
they created themselves.

Therefore man needs telecommunications to cooperate with the other
people he needs. And if the mainstream telecommunications fail, he has
to do telecomunications himself. So this is the supposed mechanism how
can my expertise and technology help people.

http://wiki.twibright.com/index.php/UserControlledTechnology

> who's watching *your* controller? and your arrogant ignorance for
> that matter.

The controller here is the user. He is watched for example by police
state. However it's not important here who is watching him because noone
cannot lock out the technology from reach of anyone else. This is
because the sources are publicly downloadable under free license and
anyone can set up complete development toolchain for free himself
because the chain is made from free software.

CL<