[wsfii-discuss] disasters and telecom

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Sat Oct 15 23:41:27 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 06:02:02PM +0100, vortex wrote:

> and all your .... will help
> human suffering how?

Hi vortex,

It's a good question, for any occasion! :) I was wondering about that
too: how do the dream systems that the people who came to limehouse
actually impact on the people passing by on the A13 in their cars, in
Limehouse area generally, in Greater London - or anywhere in the very
different places that people have been and travelled from to get there.

I realy have no idea - but Keith Hart had some interesting ones. He spoke
on the Open Money panel (which I think was by far the most politically
radical, which perhaps had something to do with it also having the
greatest mean age of any of the panels :) -

http://nodel.org/wsfii/wsfii-day2-audio/13CommunityCurrencies.mp3

His opinion, which I think is in line with many astute observers of
political / economic / ecological trends, is that the world is going to
hell in a handbag, and pretty soon life is going to get harder for
everyone and we all get really poor, really fast.

I guess that will be when we find out how the relationships, techniques,
technologies, and dream systems we've built give us the ability to
co-operate on a really large scale, as clock is suggesting.

I guess I find this pretty scary and disheartening in the long term, but
in the short term it's a great excuse to keep amusing myself by playing
with cool stuff!

Cheers,

Saul.