[wsfii-discuss] Re: Whole Infrastructure Catalogue

Tomas Krag t at wire.less.dk
Tue Oct 18 04:09:47 UTC 2005

This all sounds like a fascinating project. I'm particularly interested
since our pre-wsfii work week was taken up mostly by a Book Sprint, i.e.
we got 6 people together in the room and started working on a book
specificially about wireless community networking for the developing
world (rural networking etc.)

So we are going through the process of creating print materials for
content that must be pretty closely related in part to this Whole
Infrastructure Catalogue idea.

We are also spending some time researching Print on Demand opportunities
etc.

Admittedly we are not doing this with wiki -> book auto conversion,
mostly because the printed book is the most important outcome for our
project, and the on-line version follows on from that.

Importantly (I think) we are not just thinking about how to get a book
printed (which is easy), but how to get the content of the book
distributed in such a fashion that it is easy to print locally in the
developing world. Just a reminder that printing doesn't solve the
distribution problem. Having a 1000 * 1 kg lumps of paper in a warehouse
in the US doesn't do anything for people in the developing world. The
distribution is the difficult challenge, on-line and off-line.

I have to admit, i have some problems understanding exactly what would
go into this catalogue, but i'm really happy to see o many people that
are enthusiastic about it.

Here's an outline of the Book we're working on:
http://www.okfn.org/wsfii/wiki/BookSprintOutline?highlight=BookSprint
Perhaps there is the facility for some reuse?

cheers

/tomas