[wsfii-discuss] Re: Whole Infrastructure Catalogue

Karel Kulhavy clock at twibright.com
Tue Oct 18 10:35:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 10:32:22AM +0100, Mamading Ceesay wrote:
> On 18/10/05, Karel Kulhavy <clock at twibright.com> wrote:
> >
> > Once I wanted to generate Linux kernel documentation from Docbook and
> > wasn't able to do it. Permanently getting some erros regarding missing
> > piece of installed software even when I did everything according to the
> > README. Then I consulted the kernel folks on the mailing list and even
> > they weren't able to fix it
> >

> That's a fair comment.  Installing a Docbook toolchain can be
> non-trivial unless you are running a Debian-based distro say, where
> it's all been packaged up nicely so that it can be installed with one
> command.
>
> Docbook itself can represent a barrier to entry, since a lot more
> folks are able to write some dialect of WikiText than DocBook.  Having
> a CatalogueEntryTemplate on a wiki would go someway towards
> standardising the structure and formatting of the Catalogue entries
> which would make the transformation to PDF simpler and more effective.

Anyway you can make arbitrarily complicated thing trivial if you write
100% BugFree(TM) guide. See Ronja (except that she definitely isn't
bugfree at the moment ;-) ). There are people on the mailing list that
say they never had any experience with electronics and they built it
from the guide and it worked for them on the first try.

You can write similar guide for installing DocBook.

I wrote similar guide for software setup for another UCT project,
I2C2P: http://i2c2p.twibright.com/usage.php

I call this "human language" and it's basically a high-level programming
language where the program is running on human. Has additional benefit
that integrated biological CNC machine is easily accessible as a
peripheral and has lots of advanced-AI macro capabilities ;-)

CL<