[wsfii-discuss] Re: Whole Infrastructure Catalogue

Karel Kulhavy clock at twibright.com
Tue Oct 18 09:14:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:28:45AM +0100, Adrian Short wrote:
> Or you could do it in DocBook XML and distribute the authoring by
> having everyone work on their own sources and commit it into a code
> repository.
>
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/
>
> Transformations between DocBook and just about any output format you
> can imagine already exist. The only downside is that those that don't
> know how to write DocBook markup would need to learn. But it isn't
> that hard.

Once I wanted to generate Linux kernel documentation from Docbook and
wasn't able to do it. Permanently getting some erros regarding missing
piece of installed software even when I did everything according to the
README. Then I consulted the kernel folks on the mailing list and even
they weren't able to fix it

I would be careful before introducing some bloatware ;-) But in this
case I undestand DocBook itself may be an elegant idea and the problem
was in the kernel folks, because they are otherwise problematic as well,
for example they don't admit that Linux kernel should have some kind of
interface specification and user manual ;-)

CL<