[wsfii-discuss] Hello from Brasil!!!

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Tue Sep 13 01:19:24 UTC 2005

Dear Otavio,

Er. Wow. This sounds amazing. We knew that Minister Gil was going to be
in the UK around this time, how 'tastic that you've got in touch and that
there's an opportunity for Claudio Prado and/or Minister Gil to get
involved in WSFII.

Of course, we would be very pleased for either or both of them to
participate in the Free Culture / Free Media panel - it's scheduled for
16:00 - 17:00 on Saturday 1st October. Please let me know if that would
be convenient and we'll add them to the programme! If not, we're happy to
help organise something around their availability on the 1st or 2nd, or,
we could try sort something out through our 'Open Season' partners: Open
Congress (at Tate Britain - http://opencongress.omweb.org, 7 & 8 Oct) and
Cybersalon (at the Science Museum
http://cybersalon.org/future.html#futurewireless 4th Oct). Perhaps you've
already been in touch with them..

Having said that, Perhaps Rufus would be the best person to speak about
this - but after the Free Culture / Free Media session on Saturday 1st -
from 17:30 onwards, there's the launch of http://www.freeculture.org.uk/

"Free Culture UK is a grassroots movement promoting an open,
participatory culture. We believe that individuals and communities should
be empowered to create, and that this can be done by legal, social and
political means. We also oppose those who would restrict our creative
freedom, whether by extending laws relating to copyright, repressing new
technologies or promoting a closed, proprietary future for culture"

This project sounds *very* relevant to the Free Studio projects, and to
the Brazillian cultural policies and projects you mention. Would it be
possible for Mr. Prado or Minister Gil to help with the launch? I imagine
a speech / presentation about their projects would help get people
excited about the ideas :) Especially if we can sort out a party
afterwards. Limehouse Town Hall does have it's very own Brazillian Samba
ensemble that can be mobilised at short notice.

Again, thanks very much for getting in touch - and do let us know about
availability.

Cheers,

Saul.