[wsfii-discuss] wsfii reminder / registration nag

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Wed Sep 21 17:30:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 10:24:06AM -0700, Jo Walsh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 05:11:33PM +0200, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 03:37:40PM +0100, Saul Albert wrote:
> > > I'm afraid I'm rushing off now to see pete gomes' new movie 'node nation'
> > Is it possible to download the movie anywhere? I didn't find it by
> > google.
>
> i am guessing pete is an old-fashioned artist type who doesn't
> necessarily hold with such as bittorrent and free licenses.
> i am hoping that isn't too offensive to pete, and that being able to
> see a, lower-resolution if necessary, internet version of the movie
> would be a good thing...

Ha! Of course it will be available for download - we can shove it on a
torrent server and see if seeding it at wsfii generates enough interest
for it to stick around for a good long while :)

It's not there yet because it's not finally edited down yet.. what we've
got is a 10 minute film with 4 interviews - all with familys and people
who are involved (using) free networks - without necessarily being very
interested in or aware of the technology. It's a lovely film - done well,
though it still needs quite a lot of work.

My comments to Pete today were to edit out the Mac porn (too many shots
of people using iMacs / iBooks !) and to shorten it.. I'm hopign this
becomes the prototype for the global free network film that Juergen was
talking about last year..  If anyone wants to come and meet with me and
pete on Wednesday next week, we'll look through what he's done then and
give comments before the final edit.

The great thing about the film is hearing people talk about their areas,
and seeing all these different gaffer-tape and string installations in
people's houses, wires under the cupboards, behind the stairs, then them
sitting in their gardens, or at the local adventure playground, using the
Net (maybe it should be decapitalised in this case though, as it actually
does have that localized heterogeneous feel to it... the information
winding backalley ratehr than superhighway)

Anyway - we'll screen it on Sunday 2nd - I hope it's ready by then! Jo -
we need some map-like images for the inter-cuts and the credits, is there
a copy of that pan-sharpened composite of the two grades of free landsat
data knocking around anywhere that I can point pete at?

Saul.