[wsfii-discuss] Reminder: World Summit on Free Information Infrastructures

Julian Priest julian at informal.org.uk
Fri Sep 23 13:51:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 11:18:51AM -0700, Thomas Tichar wrote:
> Jo,
>
> I only signed on about a week ago to attend this
> event, so I don't know much of its history; for
> instance, how the name came about.  I assume it's
> meant in some irony as it seems in actual fact this
> has nothing to do with WSIS phase two in Tunis.  How
> did the meeting come about, why was this particular
> subject chosen of wifi communities (these seems to be
> the overarching theme)

Thomas,

there's a bit of a description of the background to wsfii and how it
came to be here:

http://www.okfn.org/wsfii/wiki/WsfiiDescription

I think Juergen proposed the name last year in Djursland at Fresh Air
- Free Networks, and you can perhaps think of it as an attempt to try
and make a grass roots world summit process around some practical
themes.

> and are there plans for follow-up?

Yes - its in development. Wsfii.london is the first prepcon in a series of regional wsfii's
which culminate in larger event in India in late 2006. The next one -
wsfii.mumbai is already planned for jan 2006 and during the workshop
week (26th - 30th) we're running a workshop to explore the
possibilities for different regional events with a team from different
corners of the globe.

Just a reminder: please mail me or add yourself to this page if you'd
like to be part of the organisers track.

http://www.okfn.org/wsfii/wiki/Wsfii2006Organisers

> Looking forward to it.

see you there..

~/julian