[wsfii-discuss] Re: Back in Goa

Fred Pook fredpook at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 08:26:48 UTC 2006

Hi Warren and all,

All good news coming from your side, and lots of good news from Goa! After
one month of wireless testing we (Kloschi, Daniel and Me) succeeded in
building a fairly large village mesh of about 1X1 km under the coconut palm
trees and a 1 shot through the the leaves from the gateway location on a
high building at the main road. All this fun was taking place while not only
being obstructed by the trees and smashed by the sun and heat but shortage
of the right pigtails and the constant mysteriously disaparing of equipment.
Maybe the last had more to do with the quantity of cold beers consumed ....

After having proven the working mesh we are getting requests for permanent
instalations by long term staying foreigners and locals alike. Photo's of
this will be posted soon, i hope.

I have been for a 4 day visit to the IIITM- Kerala institute on invitation
by Prof. Venkatesh and met up with Rene and Hugo to deliver a 2 day workshop
on meshing at the TechnoPark in Trivendrum. Also there is a 4 node demo mesh
alive, and powered by Solar! After some research I found a solar panel
manufactorer in Trivendrum and me and a student Sivchand
managed to get a solar panel set for free.

Sivchand just arrived in Goa and brought 2 more panels here by train. Rene
and Hugo also arrived (and more or less got lost again after more beer) but
we all are ready to do the first permanent Monsoon-proof Solar Powered Mesh
Node Pole by tomorrow.

So please come soon, Warren and you and Frederick can do the political
aspects and PR stuff correctly, the local way. That be great!

The restaurant is now done but as anybody who knows me, knows i would never
make a real food serving place since food is about my last priority. It
serves Free Beer tho and wireless laptops are welcome the access is free,
just the tips to the waitresses is expensive.

Hope to see you all soon,
Freddy
Magip.net