[wsfii-discuss] Fwd: WRT Emulator

Alexander Morlang alx at dd19.de
Sat Dec 23 18:51:11 UTC 2006

Fred Pook schrieb:
> Pls. read siv's question below:,
> thanks, fred

yes, there are some possibilities:
there are some people playing with an AR7port in an qemu, but this is
not ready for use.

a working solution is an x86-port in qemu.
OpenWrt produces an image for memorycards, this image has a
partitiontable and an MBR, if you do an
qemu -hda blafa.image -nographic
then you will see openwrt booting.
the -nographic is important, becaus openwrt boots with a serial console
and -nographic redirects the first serial line to stdio.
with additional parameter, you will get network support, as explained in
the qemu manpage.
a setup like this is being used produktive for an virtual wrt vpn server
for freifunk-hannover.

an other possibility is the openwrt-uml port, i did not play with that
because it is too linuxspecific and doe not run with FreeBSD or darwin,
AFAIR are some people in france working on/with it.

> One more Will it be a good idea to run the backbone in mesh and users
> connecting to the network in managed  mode? This is because people (in
> India) will be paranoid when we tell then that the data may be routed
> through others machines?
>
> How is the community that uses mesh has any objections with their data
> being routed through others machines?

encryption has to be end to end, encryption is the job of the enduser.

> Thanks,
>
> --Shiva

greets, alex