[wsfii-discuss] Confusion on Hive and Spontaneous Networking.

Armin Medosch armin at easynet.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 13:08:43 UTC 2006

On 13 Jul 06, at 14:20, Ramon Roca wrote:

> mmm, interesting, I like the concept of "Hivewares" as sensors in
> Pervasive Computing where are able to easily do certain things, but
> thinking on this... but well, even an "acme" webcam can broadcast video
> over ip and does it out-of-the-box. The only difference I can see with a
> specialized firmware is that could be open-source or more flexible?
> Can't the acme webcam become part of a hive?

if you can re-programme it to do other things and if it has two
network interfaces, yes.
but let me say something else, the guys who are doing hive networks
are my friends and I admire their skills and commitment. however, I
find the name unfortunate. biological metaphors are so mid-nineties.
then these concepts came out of MIT and such places and there was
and is a certain ideology connected to it, like: hive networks, where
science of complexity meets neo-liberalism. only read Out of Control
by Kevin Kelly to see what I mean. I hope the free community can
come up with better slogans, better names and not somehow
replicate what the think tanks of swarm capitalism have already
proposed
best
Armin