[wsfii-discuss] Re: More on maps -was- Re: [Community] Worldwide Map of wireless communities ?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Jul 13 16:00:19 UTC 2006

> I like. Providing a global mapping and listings is a good example of SNP :)
> Certainly, that will have a small value add by just listing any visible ssid
> like in a war-driving contest, and makes more sense to aggregate information
> of free infrastructures.
> Good idea to setup servers, just willing to see if I can help who wants to
> build one.
> I don't care about having a "centralized data" as long as we agree on how to
> interchange it (SNP). I mean, as long as a new the map server understads GML,
> we can export the guifi.net information to it, and from the guifi point of
> view, we'll be happy to be mapped given that is about free infrastructures.
> Personaly I liked mapscript, not because is a web-service oriented software,
> if necessary you still have a chance for redirecting to another site while
> zooming in a certain region.

 	Looks like I missed a bunch of the discussion, but I'm here to
pipe-up.

 	I don't seem to be such a good cult leader, and I've had trouble
getting help with WiFiMaps.com -- so I'll ask for help, and offer help at
the same time.

 	I've been thinking about lots of this stuff, talking to some of
you guys, and experimenting with a bit of the different software packages.
There's tons of interesting things to do with WiFi data. I'm not such a
great programmer, so there are a bunch of things I haven't been able to
do or figure out myself (RF math, statistics, etc).

 	So, here's an offer for the entire WiFiMaps.com database, which
we'd like to publish under the GPL. We don't have a good method of
exporting it now, other than some of the wrappers around Mapserver's GML
stuff.

 	Any takers?

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com