[wsfii-discuss] Re: More on maps -was- Re: [Community] WorldwideMap of wireless communities ?

Juergen Neumann j.neumann at ergomedia.de
Thu Jul 13 16:12:56 UTC 2006

Hi all,

> Subject: [wsfii-discuss] Re: More on maps -was- Re: [Community]
> WorldwideMap of wireless communities ?

> Hi all , For sure Guifi could become a central point to get a global
view
> of
> worlwide wireless networks.
>  But I guess we could maybe go for a simple MAP hosted on freenetworks
,
> that
> would give all the pin points and their status, and then redirect to
the
> mapping system of the community. Then Each community is free to use
> whatever,
> but the important point is that their mapping system give a way to
> "syndicate"
> their nodes including the node status ( UP, down, unknow )
>
> like ramon has started to explain on
>
> http://summit.airjaldi.com/wiki/index.php/SNP_Architecture

I think Jo from London has already had some very interesting ideas on
that issue. I would very much appreciate to have some kind of meta data
exchange format that we could all use to map information where ever we
want.

Some people already had the idea that the FREE accesspoints could be the
source of these data themselves (like RSS), which I would agree to very
much.

This could also mean that peering between these nodes could be done
automaticly (e.g. in a mesh) by checking if this is a freenet node or
not. (see e.g. http://picopeer.net - last line on page.)

Just my 2 cents,

JuergeN
http://freifunk.net