[wsfii-discuss] Re: More on maps -was- Re: [Community] WorldwideMap of wireless communities ?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Jul 17 02:15:05 UTC 2006

dear all,
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 06:12:56PM +0200, Juergen Neumann wrote:
> >  But I guess we could maybe go for a simple MAP hosted on freenetworks
> > http://summit.airjaldi.com/wiki/index.php/SNP_Architecture
> I think Jo from London has already had some very interesting ideas on
> that issue. I would very much appreciate to have some kind of meta data
> exchange format that we could all use to map information where ever we
> want.

I attempted to set out some of my past thoughts / experiences with
wireless network mapping, and the work that Saul and i did last year:
http://frot.org/devlog/2006/07/16/the-state-of-wireless-mapping/

I'd love to get feedback on this, and hope to go 'back to basics' on
wirelesslondon's overstretched codebase and build things specifically
directed towards working with others' projects (hi, Mike!)

I've heard that NYCWireless have been commissioned to do a
netstumbling survey, that could fit in pretty well with a
resuscitation of Drew's wifimaps project, and look forward to hearing
more about that, too. :)

cheers,

jo