[wsfii-discuss] WSFII Latinamerica

Sylvia Cadena sylvia at colnodo.apc.org
Sat Mar 4 17:45:42 UTC 2006

Dear all,

Although I've been very, very quiet in both this spaces, I've been
following the discussions and exchanges, and working very hard to make
something for our region. As I told you last year, the best way to make
it happened was to take advantage of the platform already provided by
the WALC series.

These events, promoted and coordinated by EsLaRed, have been a spinal
chord for technical training in the region for the last 12 years now,
having more than 1500 students and 200 instructors to support it, over
the years.

WALC is going to happened in Quito, Ecuador in July. From 24th to 29th
with the support of a lot of institutions and organizations as you will
see. The meeting is structured in 9 parallel tracks, with 30 to 60
participants per group, which will cover over the week a specific
training program (wireless networks, web development with open source,
content production and development, network management, IP telephony,
security, GIS using open source, IPv6, and project administration). At
the end of each day, we will have plenary sessions with panel
presentations structured to cover and analyze social aspects of the
Internet, and also emerging technologies and innovative solutions.

These panels will be our WSFII events :) They are going to be
coordinated by Valeria Betancourt and Daphne Plou from APC and with a
little bit of help from me and the rest of the academic committee of the
event.

All participants will have the chance to receive the technical training,
but also the chance to participate in more open discussions about where
the Internet is going and how to participate...

I will share the website as soon as it is up and running, by now we are
still working on it.

It will be great to know if there is a chance to get support for these
panel sessions... please let me know.

All the best,

Sylvia