[wsfii-discuss] More on maps -was- Re: [Community] Worldwide Map of wireless communities ?

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Wed May 3 21:40:19 UTC 2006

Hi michel, (and everybody)

Not so far from you, at guifi.net, we have recently developed a new map
services for meet out growing requirements and scalability, 100% based
on open source and free public resources (mapserver, public maps, etc).
I'm pleased to use this reply to announce it here, and also post to the
WSFII list (sorry).

You can see it live at http://maps.guifi.net

We've built it in a way that can be used worldwide, people just have to
find our their local map sources and add them, i.e. if you drill down
into catalonia, you'll get ortophoto details up to 5K resolution.. .
data is feeded also in open xml formats (in our case, extracted from our
drupal module application, you can see our database at
http://guifi.net/guifi_zones ).

To give an example, here is my node:
http://maps.guifi.net/world.phtml?Pointer=Y&local_maps=Y&Supernodes=Y&NodesAP=Y&NodesClient=Y&NodesProjected=Y&LinksWDS=Y&LinksClient=Y&LinksOffline=Y&Lang=ca&ViewRegion=Veure+directament&minx=2.165619&miny=41.908991&maxx=2.301663&maxy=42.011024&imagewidth=600&imageheight=450&mainmap.x=323&mainmap.y=169&CMD=ZOOM_IN&KEYMAPXSIZE=120&KEYMAPYSIZE=90&kminx=0.127079&kminy=40.465125&kmaxx=3.371953&kmaxy=42.898781&MapSize=600%2C450&CMD=ZOOM_IN&PREVIOUS_MODE=1

We did in that way instead of Google maps because of several reasons.
Mapserver is opensource, google currently does not provide this level of
details in our rural areas, where our network is most developed, google
javascripts may suck on zones with hundreds of nodes like ours, and
requires an agreement where they talk about some undefined "reserved
rights". Not to mention that Google is somewhat involved in that
"mouvement".

100% agree on you pints. IMHO I do think that worldwide free network
infrastructures lacks of a global view (or I'm not aware of it, sorry if
I do miss something relevant). Many other databases you just don't know
about what really they are about...

To allow interoperability between every community way of
storing/managing their network information, and still be able to
aggregate information, we are developing what we call "nodexchange"
format. This map application already implements some of the nodexchange
features.

We have those maps available to everybody on a svn, and at guifi.net
we'll be very happy to help in porting this to other sites, or include
more local maps resources from other countries or regions (currently
only Catalonia, Spain and US)...

We just ask to any potential adopter to be a truly communtity style free
network, we are using our version of the Wireless Commons, but anything
similar like picopeer agreements etc will be ok,  we just want to avoid
to get listed by some speculative "mouvements" which we do still don't
know what they really build and in which terms. I'm sure that everybody
understands.

Cheers to everybody,
Ramon Roca.

En/na michel memeteau ha escrit: