[wsfii-discuss] Onward to Africa

Jeff Buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Mon Nov 6 10:01:42 UTC 2006

		Thomas,

You put forward some important discussion issues for developing a realistic plan for assisting people in nonaffluent regions sd part of process of mutual empowerment.  Indeed  the first assumption that has to die, is that we are helping them. If we want this process to work we have to see that we are coming together to help each other see a part of reality that did not before that point exist for either group. Particularly for us since we have having been educated to think and see the world along the western molded lines that the individual is autonomous from reality and that the modern western way is supreme and superior to all others. No wonder so many people from the west with good intentions get into trouble.

I do think the key is being able to get outside of our western educational and consumer mindsets. As many of us see ourselves as dissidents in our societies or seeking to promote alterative models, we do I feel have a leg up at least in theory. However I think in practice many of us realize that despite our advertised ideologies that there is a embedded residue of westernism that may lead to problems if it is not addressed.

One of the key issues as we saw, forsaw or heard in the differing approaches to the recent AJS/wsfii event itself, is much of the difference was about perspective and philosophy. One view is that technology is the answer in itself and this is echoed by mainstream tech publications like Wired. Others tend to be more careful in making overly optimistic assumptions about technology and see a technology approach that is integrated with a human development and facilitation process as an enabler of local development.

So we are not just talking about intercultural understandings but also intracultural understandings (reaching consensus between differing perspectives within the same or similar cultures and backgrounds) - for in truth westerners hardly speak with one voice about the development.

May I suggest that we look at how we can define a process along the lines of what you are discussing that can be posted into the wsfii wiki that could be considered follow up to the AJ Summit and a part of training people in effective field work possibly as a prerequisite to the African event that is now being planned for Ghana.

Jeff