[wsfii-discuss] Onward to Africa

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 13:34:10 UTC 2006

My own 90 paise (Indian)

While international meetings such as the recently
concluded Dharamsala Summit tend to be conducted
largely in English, it beats me why this should be
blindly accepted.

We (Arun Mehta and I) have been providing a simple
simultaneous translation infrastructure at such
meetings since the Asian Social Forum in 2003, an
example which has I think been followed ever since by
the organisers of that meeting and its global and
regional submeetings.

The system is just multiple FM channels locally
broadcasting at sub-50mW with simple dipole antennae,
each fed a translation from domain experts who are
reasonably proficient in a pair (at least, obviously)
of languages. The delegates listen on headphone
equipped cheap FM receivers. Such domain experts are
most easily (voluntarily) drawn from among the
delegates, and in fact, for topics such as covered in
WSFII I sincerely doubt that competent translations
could come from even highly paid professionals.

At the end of the main conference in Dharamsala, I
made this suggestion for the Africa meet, and I think
it was received enthusiastically. It will allow
delegates from Africa, and from other areas as well,
to speak in their native languages, while the other
delegates listen to the gist of the discussion in a
language of their own choice (within limits, depending
on the extent of volunteering).

Of ocurse, the problems of language do not end with a
successful summit meeting. We need volunteers to take
up the task of localising the wndw book, for instance.
We also need to enthuse more people to do FOSS
localisation, and, extending the thought to technical
subjects from other domains, to do soft translations
of health and hygiene manuals. Finally, we need to
build more networking tools (a la the Facebooks and
Myspaces of the commercial world) to help people
intercommunicate, especially verbally.

If we can do this in the near term, I think it will go
a long way in dispelling the myth of 'helping' Jeff
refers to, and come to align more precisely with
'exchanging', allowing information to positively
emerge from the disadvantaged (whose biggest
disadvantage in today's world is precisely the lack of
accessible communication tools - all other
disadvantages flow from this).

One suggestion that should strike a chord is for
simultaneous verbal translation to be available 24/7
online. It could be paid for by text advertisements
like Google has demonstrated, or by grant funding from
global foundations. Translators could be drawn from
the ranks of the physically disabled, for instance, or
from other disadvantaged communities, since this task
needs nothing beyond competence and the freedom to
stay in one place while online.

I could go on for hours with related suggestions, but
let's make a beginning with making the Africa meeting
into a rainbow of language!

---
Vickram

--- Jeff Buderer <jeff at onevillagefoundation.org>
wrote:

> 		Thomas,
>
> You put forward some important discussion issues for
> developing a realistic plan for assisting people in
> nonaffluent regions sd part of process of mutual
> empowerment.  Indeed  the first assumption that has
> to die, is that we are helping them. If we want this
> process to work we have to see that we are coming
> together to help each other see a part of reality
> that did not before that point exist for either
> group. Particularly for us since we have having been
> educated to think and see the world along the
> western molded lines that the individual is
> autonomous from reality and that the modern western
> way is supreme and superior to all others. No wonder
> so many people from the west with good intentions
> get into trouble.
>
> I do think the key is being able to get outside of
> our western educational and consumer mindsets. As
> many of us see ourselves as dissidents in our
> societies or seeking to promote alterative models,
> we do I feel have a leg up at least in theory.
> However I think in practice many of us realize that
> despite our advertised ideologies that there is a
> embedded residue of westernism that may lead to
> problems if it is not addressed.
>
> One of the key issues as we saw, forsaw or heard in
> the differing approaches to the recent AJS/wsfii
> event itself, is much of the difference was about
> perspective and philosophy. One view is that
> technology is the answer in itself and this is
> echoed by mainstream tech publications like Wired.
> Others tend to be more careful in making overly
> optimistic assumptions about technology and see a
> technology approach that is integrated with a human
> development and facilitation process as an enabler
> of local development.
>
> So we are not just talking about intercultural
> understandings but also intracultural understandings
> (reaching consensus between differing perspectives
> within the same or similar cultures and backgrounds)
> - for in truth westerners hardly speak with one
> voice about the development.
>
> May I suggest that we look at how we can define a
> process along the lines of what you are discussing
> that can be posted into the wsfii wiki that could be
> considered follow up to the AJ Summit and a part of
> training people in effective field work possibly as
> a prerequisite to the African event that is now
> being planned for Ghana.
>
> Jeff

=== message truncated ===>