[wsfii-discuss] Europe's GeoData belongs to the public?

john wilson johnresearch at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:40:35 UTC 2006

Proboscis' recent work on "public authoring and civil society in the
wireless city" has covered public geodata issues:

http://urbantapestries.net/weblog/archives/000181.html

November 01, 2006
IPPR Public Innovation Report

We contributed a case study on the Ordnance Survey (in relation to the
questions of intellectual property and the public domain) to the IPPR's
Public Innovation: intellectual property in a digital age which was
published on Monday.

In addition to the case study (pp 55-57) is a section in the conclusions (p
85):

    Opening up public sector information would present dramatic
opportunities for entrepreneurship in the UK, without unduly benefiting
overseas competitors. We support a recommendation related to us by Giles
Lane from creative studio Proboscis that the functions of OS be split into
two different components: one part being responsible for maintaining the
National Geographic Database (NGD) and providing access to it on a ‘cost of
reproduction’ basis to all who wish to use it, and another part that
continues the OS’s legacy of innovation and product development, but that
derives no commercial or competitive advantage from controlling the NGD.

The full proposal is below:

Accessing Public Geodata
Giles Lane, May 2006

Despite the Ordnance Survey's (OS) successes in widening provision for small
groups such as academics and schoolchildren, the OS has not been able to
create mechanisms that widen access to its core geodata for other non-
governmental public uses. With its strong focus on cost recovery and
development of new revenue models this does seem to be a conflict of
interest. The Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI) is reported to
agree that there is 'substance to to complaints from commercial mapping
firms that OS has been "obstructive and slow" in licensing its data.' (The
Guardian, 23/3/06). Whilst the OS disputes the findings of the OPSI, it also
disputes the conclusion of Comptroller and Auditor General, National Audit
Office regarding how it values the National Geographic Database (NGD) which
it 'owns':

    "In my opinion: in view of the effect of the decision not to capitalise
the data held in Ordnance Survey's geospatial databases as a tangible fixed
asset in accordance with Financial Reporting Standard 15, the financial
statements do not give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of
Ordnance Survey at 31 March 2005 or of its surplus, total recognised gains
and losses and cash flows for the year then ended"

(source: OS Annual Report 2004-05, 13 June 2005)

This is not the first time the Auditor General has qualified the OS's
accounts, in fact he has done so every year since it acquired Trading Fund
status. The issue of valuing the NGD as an asset is complicated and open to
different interpretations as to whether the OS's or the Auditor General's
opinions offer the best value for taxpayers. However, it does highlight an
increasing sense of frustration where a government department operates as an
effective self-regulating monopoly controlling access to a public asset
funded for over two hundred years by the taxpayer.

A Modest Proposal
One potential solution for the licensing impasse would be to separate the
functions of the OS into two different components: one part being
responsible for maintaining the National Geographic Database and providing
access to it on a 'cost of reproduction' basis to all who wish to use it,
and another part which continues the OS's legacy of innovation and product
development but which derives no commercial or competitive advantage from
controlling the NGD.

A possible model for this kind of separation of inheritance and service
provision is the recent regulation of BT which separated the core national
telephone network (which BT inherited on privatisation and has maintained
and upgraded constantly since) from its own retail and business services
provision. This separation was enforced to create a more fair and level
playing field in the local loop unbundling of telecom services (through the
new entity, Openreach) which had failed to gain momentum whilst BT retained
control of the network and the exchanges and was competing with other
companies wishing to install their own equipment and offer competitive
services.

If the National Geographic Database were be accessible to anyone – including
the OS itself – at no more than the cost of reproduction of the data, then
the monopoly which the OS has inherited as a trading fund would be dissolved
and new entrants would be just as able to deliver innovative new uses of GIS
as the OS and other incumbents are today.