[wsfii-discuss] P2P and Wireless Systems (was Breadcrumb)

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at magma.ca
Wed Nov 22 03:40:12 UTC 2006

Thanks all!

The homeland security part of the breadcrumbs technology gave me the
creeps, but I did like the fact that it is small, portable, robust
looking, and easy to use anywhere at any time and seems to be quite
interoperable.

One of the topics and issues i am grappling with, is finding suitable
communication technologies for people in contested territories, people
who may have to send data quickly and efficiently and then pack up their
gear and move on. Or people who may want to collect some data and get it
off their devices quickly or transfer them quickly for someone else to
transport. Think of kurds, North Koreans, Burmese, Tibetans in China
along the border regions, etc. Or people who are not allowed to have
wireless devices but want something short term that they can move around
with and communicate to neighbouring villages. Or perhaps a field
scientist collecting data where she is not supposed to! Like GPS points
in Sarawak Malaysia! In most cases in rural and remote areas where the
state controls access to the net. When I saw that breadcrumb thing i
thought - this could meet the needs of that use case.

At the Dharamsala roadshow we had discussed that it was possible to
create a homemade portable kit, to do some point to point data transfer
with some directional antennas, but this breadcrumb thing seemed to have
addressed all that in one nice little package.

I would however much prefer technology that would meet the needs of some
of the communities i am dealing with and not from a military shop. If
you have ideas - have seen some hacks or other examples - I would love
to hear them!

I like echomyplace!

Cheers
Tracey (http://takahashidojo.blogsome.com/)