[wsfii-discuss] sharing a few links on open infrastructure

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 02:25:19 UTC 2006

not sure if this was already shared.  jon udell's call for open
infrastructure.  I think it's interesting when this stuff is brought
to a larger public:

"I float like a butterfly from Windows to OS X to Linux. My home is in
the cloud, and that's the next frontier for the champions of free and
open commodity infrastructure.

At the moment, it seems very unlikely that a motley crew of volunteers
distributed around the globe will be able to match the economies of
scale and the military discipline that make today's giant clusters the
awesome powers that they are. But shouldn't we have learned, by now,
to expect the unexpected?

We've already seen how open source software projects harness
collective effort to produce quality results. We're now seeing how
open content projects such as Wikipedia do the same. Can open
infrastructure be far behind?"

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/07/26/31OPstrategic_1.html

also:
ottawa/gatineau is a new CWN with an interesting mandate:

"ogWiFi est un nouveau reseau sans-fils communautaire
d'Ottawa-Gatineau composé d'un petit groupe d'individues des deux
cotés de la rivière des Outaouais qui veulent rapprocher le domaine
domestique avec le public en créant une infrastructures sans fil
communautaire du niveau de la base.

ogWiFi is a new Community Wireless Network (CWN) comprised of a small
group of people on both sides of the Ottawa River who wish to bridge
the home / public divide in our communities by developing a grassroots
free and open wirelless communication infrastructure."

http://mtl3p.ilesansfil.org/blog/archives/2006/09/15/making_the_break.html

and

Rob Flickenger posted some interesting news from the SecondLife arena.
 I sent an email about that last year. My take on why it's important
with links to Rob's post:
http://tinyurl.com/zqq6r