[wsfii-discuss] PA newsletter 1

david at postautonomy.co.uk david at postautonomy.co.uk
Sun Sep 17 17:49:05 UTC 2006

Post-autonomy on-line – the future of art

Newsletter no 1 - Sept 2006

http://www.postautonomy.co.uk/blog

Start date for new series of on-line talks - 16th September 8-10pm

Contents:

1. Next stage of development
2. Replacing the current text introducing Post-Autonomy
3. Up grading the site
4. What can be found on the site?
5. Feedback
6. Copyright & use of material
7. Fake PA site
8. Spamming
9. New programme of talks
    Information sheet on the talks
    Pool of core issues

1. Next stage of development

The website dedicated to research into Post autonomy was launched in March.
This September will see the PA project enter its next stage of development. It
is now possible to recognize the first phase as a tentative, sometimes blind
and often naive search for the objectives of PA, including the use of on-line
technology, resources and protocols. The next phase is intended to address
these problems directly by bringing much more focus and clarity to the project
by homing in on the notion of PA, and establishing complete confidence in both
the project and its programme. I do hope that from now on the site is
recognized as a site that extends PA rather than a site that pools and
collects a range of “alternative art concepts”. This isn't intended to
unnecessarily restrict the use and understanding of PA but rather to recognize
its achievements and specificity. Having said, that we would always welcome
additional material that assists in clarifying its key concepts, or sound and
balanced advice for improving any aspect of the project.

Building Post Autonomy

The next phase is therefore intended to focus more explicitly than ever on the
notion of PA as a “thought experiment” for developing a completely new model
through “building PA”. To build PA we plan to locate and research into the
specific language and logic to open up and navigate around the space of PA.

A Refracted prism

In beginning to think about the language to articulate PA it is necessary to
think through the route leading into the space for building PA. How do we
understand the space once we finish with the Eurocentric tradition of art
while waiting to construct the model of PA? What language makes sense to use
in that space, and how do we comprehend the behavior of the residues or
leftover’s of a language from a former tradition?

2. Replacing the text introducing PA

Since the recent site went live in March a more concise and simple
understanding of PA has been obviously needed,  so as soon as possible a new
text will be located on the site. If anyone wants to offer insights into the
current text or ideas for producing a better text please feel free to let us
know.

3. Redesigning the site

The plans for up grading, redesigning, simplifying and making the site easier
to navigate is still on-going and so far there is no date when a new design
will replace the existing design. While the indexing and archiving of what is
already a significant body of material is again still in progress.

4. Some of the things you can find on the PA website

Interviews with the GAO brothers, Basekamp, Stefan Beck, Verena Kuni, aihpof,
interactingarts. Articles on: participation, collaboration, globalization,
World cities, mapping, texts, discussions and forums debating current
understanding of the notion of Post-Autonomy. Texts by Trebor Scholtz on
participation on the net, Sal randolp on PA etc Recent projects examining Post
Autonomy - Back to back; Move into the domain of Post Autonomy; Node L, Walk,
talk, eat and talk some more.

5. Feedback to the site

Now that the site has been in existence for over six months it would be useful
to hear from anyone what you think about any aspect of the site. The obvious
problems have already been communicated - the problems of locating the
material, the problems of the often hasty, sometimes shoddy, wording of the
projects concepts, and clear problems and short comings in the necessary
skills in producing texts.

6. Copyright and use of PA material

The issue of copyright and use of material from the site is still under review
and waiting advice. However if any one wants to use material from the site for
academic use, articles, or for exhibition purposes please email
david at postautonomy.co.uk for details.

7. Fake sites on Post Autonomy

Please beware that since the relative success of the launch of PA online
project space there is now at least one fake site addressing PA.

8. Spamming

Over the last few months the site has been subject to massive spamming. Again
this is a problem that is under review but if any one has any advice on how to
tackle this irritating problem please let us know.

9:0 New programmed of talks

The new series of debates take their point of departure from the text/work
questionnaire "Move into the domain of PA" recently presented in "Jump into
deep water" at the Shedhalle, Zurich, Switzerland this June/August.

9:1 New talks on PA
9:2 Pool of core issues