[wsfii-discuss] Fw: public demand for information technology

Ken DiPietro ken at new-isp.net
Thu Sep 21 18:47:29 UTC 2006

Dave Hughes wrote:
> The trouble is that there can be BIG obstacles - almost all political - to
> get 'local governments' AND national governments to 'replace existing
> telecommunications infrastructures' with low use-cost license exempt
> telecommunications. There are many vested political and business interests
> that will, and do, lobby against governments changing the rules that made
> them rich with the 'old' infrastructure. That is just as true in the US and
> other developed countries as in India, Nepal, or Indonesia. Witness the
> battles going on right now in the US Congress over 'net neutrality' which
> has all the big telephone companies lined up against all the muni-wireless
> advocates and practitioners)

I believe we both know it is all about money. The simple answer is to
make sure that our industry is willing to pay in as much or more than
the existing players. We can do that without real strain because our
costs for equipment are significantly lower as is our operating costs.
If we move toward this model we might also get a slice of spectrum that
was guaranteed clean (licensed) which standard WiFi radios could access
by changing the country code. As you know, more spectrum would allow for
more capacity and with luck we could even get higher power outputs
making many aspects of these deployments all that much easier.

> Among the messages I am bringing to the Aljaldi Wireless Summit in
> Dharmasala, India next month, are suggested ways to convince administrations
> their legislatures, AND their bureaucrats and Media, to embrace the new,
> disruptive, net infrastructures. Just because it is 'good for the people'
> does not mean its also 'good for the bottom line of incumbents.' Or revenues
> for government itself.

And I know you will do one hell of a good job. I only wish I could join you.

> Mahibir's success in getting the Nepalese government to make unlicensed
> wireless 'legal' was laudable. Not sure it will be that fast or easy in many
> other countries. And VOIP is still not legal there.

There are many battles left to be fought. However, recognizing the
advantages the incumbents have (read money) and using that same strategy
against them is one way we can overcome their stranglehold on the
communications industry.

Respectfully,

Ken DiPietro

New-ISP.net/NextGenCommunications.net