[wsfii-discuss] [Fwd: [india-gii] Rural Data Services using 802.11]

ramnarayan.k at gmail.com ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:54:18 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [india-gii] Rural Data Services using 802.11
Date: Sun,  1 Apr 2007 23:28:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sharath jeppu <sharathjeppu at gmail.com>
To: india-gii at lists.cpsr.org

Here's a mail that I received from a friend in Intel and I thought it
might be
of Interest to the group. If anybody is interested in offering their
services,
please let me know and I will pass on the information to Srini.

---------
Hi Sharath

It was good talking to you a few minutes back.

Just to iterate I am running a startup venture incubated within Intel,
focusing
on providing cost-effective Rural Data Services.

The idea is to provide/own last-mile p-2-p connectivity, from say, the
district
HQs to the villages (represented by a community service centre/ kiosk).
This is
based on some disruptive innovations from our side (we talked about it last
time) that enables low cost, high bandwidth wireless connectivity over a
long
range
thus making it possible for transporting b/w hungry applications and
services (e-learning, tele-medicine, micro-finance, e-marketplace, video
conferencing
) that can truly facilitate “rural inclusionary services”
to the
masses while breaking thru the rural-urban divide. The technology we have
developed (is 802.11 based – wi-fi on steroids!) doesn’t suffer the
issues of
spectrum clearances/delays, license fees or expensive equipment cost,
which are
all detrimental/barriers to viable connectivity to low-density areas.
(Moreover, it’s been successfully tested to work at speeds of 20Mbps, over
80kms point-to-point range.)

While this technology is developed and running in pilots around the
world, the
task on hand is to take it from the current rough cut stage and then take to
market
there are several additional upcoming appropriate technical
innovations
such as solar power capability, power on Ethernet,
steerable/multi-directional
antennae etc.

I am looking to hire a person – the technical man Friday, who can understand
the technology aspects and assist in understanding and setting up the
wireless
data network business together.  Do you know anyone good who can be
positioned
appropriately- either as a direct hire or as a consultant.

The task cut out for the team and the technologist in particular is to
“technically” own the product(s) from a System/Solution architecture and
technical fit standpoint and be responsible for future
roadmaps/productization/manufacture, and ensure that this is positioned
appropriately and advantageously in deals with Telcos, Value added service
providers, Government (DIT), DoT etc
 An understanding of various aspects of
setting up and running a (wireless) network, with an intricate knowledge
of the
various infrastructural (hw and software) components is essential, as
well as
an in depth understanding of  various aspects of running a “managed services
operation” and what that would take from a technical standpoint to be
successful.

This position is one of tremendous growth and leadership (technologically,
business-wise, but all importantly can be at a major trigger point for
socio-economic development of the region) and will potentially have high
visibility within the corporation and also within the industry
ecosystem, with
participation in national and international events, business deals with
governments, large service providers drawn from a vast variety of fields.

I am also looking at hiring a (separate from above) strategic biz
development
person, who has a deep idea of structuring deals with Telcos, Value-add
services
and moreover understands the various biz modeling and cost
aspects of
running a network and managed services business.

Trust the above describes the opportunities in lay-man terms....your
referral
of appropriate people would be very valuable and welcome. Look forward to
hearing for you soon.

With best regards

Srinivas Garudachar
Rural Data Services
Intel Corporation- New Business Initiatives
28 Cubbon Road
Bangalore 560001

     india-gii at lists.cpsr.org