Frequency Clock (was Re: [wsfii-discuss] Re: wsfii-discuss Digest, Vol 25, Issue 24)

james stevens james at spc.org
Mon Apr 2 10:16:22 UTC 2007

Hi Kloschi,

FC and our channel http://blink.spc.org is a legacy system (2000-2002)
and back in the day, Real was the best of a bad choice..
frequencyclock triggers start times for streaming media into a standard
web browser window which switches between media types and respective
embedded players of those files scheduled - early iceacst versions could
not relay embedded video formats..(not sure if  this is possible now?)
As a producer of programs to be listed in FC its up to you to define the
format (and embedded player)  to best present your channel content. So
for example if our program material is MP4 .mov then a quicktime
embedded player may respond to the browser request for supporting plugin.

These days we still trouble over effective standards for streaming media
- which has declined in interest for most people in the shadow of
youtube etc.. we run darwinSS, icecast and this legacy live real
streaming server v.5 (which doesn't cost us anything) for those still
working with older models.

there is a small group of people still looking at the development
prospects for FC. So much has changed in the way we all associate with
data and mix materials but some of the key scheduling and adaptability
aspects of FC still carry value. If you are interested in getting
involved with future FC then please get in touch with its author Adam
Hyde and join the group.

adam at xs4all.nl

you may also be interested in the work in progress at
http://www.transmission.cc/

hope this clears up your point.

easy

James