[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability ofCommunity Wireless(sorry had to resend due to incorrect hyperlink)

jeff buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Fri Apr 6 08:14:01 UTC 2007

Ramon,

My thought was that you might have misunderstood what Ashram was saying
because it was not clear to me from his writing that was being Impolite
- it was an unclear statement - maybe he can clarify.

We need that caution, I just don't want to jump into bed with the
corporations until I really know about who I am jumping into bed with.

Often when money is lacking the scarcity mindset proliferates. We have
to be careful that we are not creating a trap for ourselves on several
levels:
1. Create/fuel the poverty reality; 2. Put yourself in a vulnerable
situation so that when the opportunities do emerge the best decision is
not made and the result is a less than stellar outcome.

For me the issue is about changing our mindsets about money and about
how we communicate and network. The resources are there.

Lets not delude ourselves though. The large corporations who control the
global media space are already looking to incorporate the spirit of
community wireless into their system so that they can coopt the change
towards a more grassroots approach to communications into something more
status quo friendly.

We need to be clear that this is not how it is going to happen.

Community Wireless is not just about wireless but about how we
communicate. Even deeper, it about how disruptive technologies are being
used to promote authentic community based sustainable development on
many different levels. This is why OVF feels the idea of discussing
sustainability and integration at the wsfiiafrica2007 summit is so
important. For the larger progressive movement to be sustainable, we
need to see that we are each playing an important role in the ecosystem
of human interactions that is moving humanity towards real sustainable
development.

Its possible that with the right approach an mutually beneficially
agreement can be worked out with corporations that get the idea that
business as usual corporate/commercial culture is not just working. It's
actively killing the spirit and diverse cultural and social richness of
humanity as well as devastating the ecological vitality and diversity of
the planet

A few corporate cultures are starting to get the message, but those who
practice more than greenwash are still like gems though in a sea of
corporate conformity and mainstream medacrity. That is where Ramon's
comments ring true.

There's tendency to migrate to wherever the dollar bills are, without
thinking about whether they are selling their souls in the process of
becoming financially secure. We definitely should not sell out our
ideals and those of the movement in the process of getting a bit of cash
to expand the networks.

In seriously considering any work with corporations, a process of due
diligence is needed to filter out the chaff from the gems.

Jeff