[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless

ricardo ruiz doutorsocratesoreidofutebol at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 10:06:44 UTC 2007

dear vickram and other.

i should agree on everything on your last mail, specially when you talk
about businessmodel.

in the projects we've been doing here in the northeast region of brasil, it
is not a way of making money, but really, to get all the comunity involved.

otherwise, it will be just another brand..

best regards,
ruiz

On 4/7/07, Vickram Crishna <v1clist at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> --- Ramon Roca <ramon.roca at guifi.net> wrote:
>
> > Apologies for the confusion on names
> > (Ashram/Ashish) :(
> >
> > I had also no intention to open a flame.
>
> Yes, we do not want a fruitless name-calling kind of
> exchange here, we need our energy to do more useful
> things. It is my fault entirely for getting depressed
> at the scale of the problem.
>
> I picked up on Ramon's comment re FON, and must say,
> right from their early days they have been quite
> peculiar regarding expansion of activities in
> countries like India. Which is to say, there used to
> be no indication (I haven't checked lately) that they
> were closed to the idea, but the fact remains they
> don't reply to emails or show active interest in any
> other way.
>
> Of course reports from Spain have long indicated they
> are just not a very 'community-oriented' organisation.
>

> But I was thinking as well of other 'successful'
> commercial organisations (such as Intel, for instance)
> who have been spending a lot of time, effort and money
> to 'educate' people about their technology approach. I
> mean people in India particularly, but I am sure they
> do not ignore other regions.
>
> > recommend people to analyze business models
> > since not all of
> > them are good, and of course not because I'm against
> > business models!.
> >

> In my opinion, business is done when two entities
> exchange things of mutually recognised value.
> Centuries ago, such exchanges were 'improved' by using
> a common item of barter, namely cash. Seems pretty
> simple, economics 101, but I don't often hear much
> discussion of the side-effects or fallout of the
> choice to move into that cash-driven ecosystem -
> including the creation of 'efficient' organisations to
> increase the velocity of cash through their portals -
> organisations that are not primarily driven by the
> value they bring to their stakeholders, rather only to
> themselves.
>
> For quite a lot of people nowadays, it is the cash
> that matters and not the value it represents. That is
> very interesting, and challenging for persons and
> discussions like we have here, because we, and other
> cash-strapped people like us, are forced to invest
> more and more effort into doing things merely to keep
> the status quo going, rather than to see worthwhile
> improvement take place on a macro scale.
>
> We really need to find ways to get our energy invested
> in meaningful business, and not the creation of
> quasi-notional value.
>
> There is a long way to go before organisations of that
> kind will have the maturity to work with different
> emerging models of the kind we will debate and try to
> evolve. So we have our work cut out. Not cause to
> despair, but to focus on the core issues.
>
> > In any way, in order to build a strong partnership
> > for that ecosystem,
> > it's important to understand everybody's roles and
> > play their own
> [...]

++    vote    ++
==MUSSUM==
   Cacilds! - 51