[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless

Horst Krause offlinehorst at web.de
Sun Apr 8 15:23:33 UTC 2007

hello marco + wsfii-discuss-list,

with great interest i follow this *sustainability*-thread.

> when we want to have an economical sustainability FOR THE PEOPLE, we
> will need tools designed for exceptionally this goal. these tools
> already exist. certain types cooperatives belong to these tools as I
> believe.

i think about the impact, 'development' has into a weakend society,
and the reasons and circumstances that drive self-declared developers.
because, i recognise a large gap in realisation/discussion between:
- high expectations in/for *III./IV.-world*-countries, and
- the low success to overcome digital-divide inside rich societies.

many reports seem to me too positivly tinted, for example: opportunities,
capacity/comunity/democracy-building, potentials, synergy, ect.,
or the hardbreaking foo of those, planing to sell a chicken,
would be empowered to search the i-net to maximise cash flow ;-)

shure only a part benefits from this shifting, the social-divide will deepen,
and, first of all and ever, digital fences will be put up by this evolution.
so called development is much based on media-hyp, tech.-talk, nerdism-egos,
figures+numbers, progress-myth, futur-hopes, ect., to call some, only
little reflected missionairic, colonial, touristic, western vallues.

everbody's darlings like to talk about targets, forces, tasks, successes,
but it makes me supicius, that many of these so hailed solutions,
do NOT work fine, or got under critics; even under developed conditions,
or refer unconsciously and narrow-horizonted to nothing else but
- some akademic-sky-watcher-blub and their media-campaigners,
- the developments of the (soft-)develope(r,d) and
- their developing-world-successors: micro-telcos +  net-shop-owners,
- bruised IT-omnipotence-fantasy, now to be compensated in a
  once-again + far-away - attempt in africa/asia.

are there some critical, serios, competent field researches about
social, cultural, environmental side-effekts of IT-connectivity?
but deeper than usual win-win-game of self-portrayals by embedded media.
please recall to me some links i read diagonal earlier @ this list.

bye, horst krause, berlin
offlinehorst at web.de