[wsfii-discuss] Workshops at WSFII Africa 2007

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 03:56:40 UTC 2007

The whole trouble with different languages is that
'native' users of one language tend to reflect their
own cultural and personal persona when they (mis)use
another language. There is no lingua franca. We just
have to learn to accept this, and read each other's
mails/posts with a lot more patience and leeway.

--- jeff buderer <jeff at onevillagefoundation.org>
wrote:

> Great comments Marco.
> Kloschi said he was going to transfer the ODiV
> content to the
> www.wsfiiafrica2007.org site so that should help to
> address any
> confusion about opendiv.org. I think
> www.wsfiiafrica2007.org is a more
> appropriate naming of the website for the conference
> and is addressing
> the point that Marco made below.

I would like to see something more coherent and
replicable, not in order to assist 'branding' per se,
but because it tends to faciliate self-organisation
given the current naming conventions that flow out of
the way urls were structured.

So my suggestion is something more along the lines of
africa2007.wsfii.org/wiki and so on, for future
events.

The 'wsfii' could be opendiv or anything else,
provided we all agree that it hardly matters, unless
we choose a proprietary name. That would be an error.
In my opinion, of course.

The 'africa' could be 'winneba' or 'ghana' so that it
leaves the possibility open for future events on the
continent this year itself.

As for the kind of misunderstandings that do arise
from using words from a different language, a group of
us here in Mumbai, driven gently by Nagarjuna (who
missed coming to AJS but is no less passionately
committed for that) have loosely set up (there is no
'organisation') what will hopefully becaome a citywide
mesh. Most of the members had never heard of mesh
before beginning, and are not familiar with German at
all - they called it friedfunk, which may be amusing
to hear in English, but doesn't detract from the real
work done and the learning from doing it, not blindly
copying it.

I think we should within ourselves just smile when we
see these complications of language and culture, and
not allow it to spill out as flames. It's not what
someone else says, it is what each one of us means
that matters.

=== message truncated ===

Vickram