[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless

Ian Howard ihoward at netdotworking.com
Fri Apr 27 14:01:31 UTC 2007

Mbote Thomas!

Indeed.

Regarding my use of the term "economic value" here. In the design of
networks in countries like yours, I have found that cash flow is the
greatest challenge. Local governments are not able to subsidize. Foreign
governments wish only to provide short-term capital investment. Thus,
ultimately, most often in the developing world (lesser developed
countries) the model for supporting a wireless network must be
self-financing, and thus we must find the economic value, or there is no
hope to find social value. In Canada, it is much easier for me to build
a network that is first focused on social value. Many of the community
networks here use such a model. They provide a social value, more than
an economic value. That can be done because the costs are negligible in
terms of the economic output of the community, whereas a network in
Congo, for example, can be a significant cost in terms of the
community's economic output, because costs are factors more and revenues
are much more constrained. So, my use of the term "economic value", I
propose, is perhaps appropriate here as my point is that the network
will only survive if its economic value is greater than its costs.

Ian