[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless

Thomas Maketa tmaketa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:41:12 UTC 2007

Mbote Ian,

You are right you used the right word, in that context it is economical
value.
And you are also right in your analysis, in lesser developed country project
should be self-financing, in the project we are setting up, the non free
available services will have a price, but the least economically possible.
The infrastructure chosen is the mesh network, so someone with his material
can enter the network without paying anything, the cost intervene only if he
wants to have access to Internet (a bandwidth must be paid). We would give
access to voip functionality which will  be available for free inside the
network.
The goal is to use the resource available within community and to initiate
an endogenous growth of the network.  We think that it is the model
minimizing at maximum cost.
So far did not launched anything yet spending time in all the offices of
administration getting authorization and defending the project (private ISP
dont see us with good eyes) hope we will be done soon.

Cheers
TM