[wsfii-discuss] What is the best and long range Point to Multi Point radio?

mahabir at himanchal.org mahabir at himanchal.org
Sat Feb 24 16:08:06 UTC 2007

Hello All;

I am working on a plan to build another long range network in Nepal. I had
posted the satellite photo of the new network in this discussion list but
it was not delivered because the file was more than 40 KB limit.

The longest P2P distance is 42 KM and the others are in the range of 15 KM
to 30 KM. I am thinking about using 5.7 GHZ Canopy backhaul (20 Mbps) for
the 30 to 41 KM P2P link. Howerver, for some links that are in the range
of 15 to 25 KM, I would like to use Point to Multi Point radios because
there are some villages that can be covered by one Access Point.

Could you please recommend the radios that you think will be good? I am
looking for the radios that has built-in antenna. I don't want to use
radios that need external grid antennas. The main reason is that we will
put the radios on the top of high mountain and my experiences tell that
the external grid antennas attract electrical surges from the thunderstorm
easily that damages the radios.

Could you also tell that whether 802.11g radios will be good for long
range connection (15 to 25 KM)?
Thanks.

Mahabir