[wsfii-discuss] Re: wsfii-discuss Digest, Vol 23, Issue 13

l annison l.annison at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 21:22:55 UTC 2007

>    1. Is 33 Kbps adequate for Video Steaming (ramnarayan.k at gmail.com)
>    2. Re: [AirJaldi-Summit] Is 33 Kbps adequate for Video       Steaming
>       (sebastian)
>    3. R.o.GUINEA (marco)

> A project planning to provide e-health services claims that 33 Kbps
> connection speeds are adequate to transmit live video.
>
> Is this possible , if so what techniques might they be using.
>
> Further if the application is health over the net (e-health,
> telemedicine) will the quality hold.
>
> will appreciate your comments
>
> thanks
> ram

Hi Ram

33kbps is nowhere near enough. I was recently speaking to a doctor looking
at telemedicine needs and he reckoned that to deliver an optimal service
20Mbps was required. However, there are ways to deliver services such as
video conferencing and webcasts over much lower bandwidths if the right
codecs etc are used. 33kbps isn't really enough even to deliver good voice
eg VoIP etc.

HTH
Lindsey
Co-founder, Access to Broadband Campaign
Author, JFDI Community Broadband
http://www.lulu.com/content/488550