[wsfii-discuss] Re: wsfii-discuss Digest, Vol 23, Issue 13

Sudhir Parasuram (Lakkaraju) sudhir_p at employees.org
Mon Jan 22 02:56:09 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, l annison <l.annison at gmail.com> wrote:

> > A project planning to provide e-health services claims that 33 Kbps
> > connection speeds are adequate to transmit live video.
> [...]
> 33kbps is nowhere near enough. I was recently speaking to a doctor looking
> at telemedicine needs and he reckoned that to deliver an optimal service
> 20Mbps was required. However, there are ways to deliver services such as
> video conferencing and webcasts over much lower bandwidths if the right
> codecs etc are used. 33kbps isn't really enough even to deliver good voice
> eg VoIP etc.

20Mbps ? Is the number right ?

20Mbps for video sounds overkill. IIRC, HD-TV usually is anywhere
between 2-4Mbps for video-conferencing.

Regular streaming video of decent quality takes a lot less more (think
two different class of apps - live traffic - yahoo-im/skype/...,
canned-content - you-tube/google-video/yahoo-video/...).

While I certainly don't know the specifics of tele-medicine, 20Mbps
for video apps will never-ever fly in the near future (more so in
evolving/emerging countries).

Cheers,
Sudhir

--