[wsfii-discuss] Anotjer world is possible

samuel kongere samkongere2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 13:19:43 UTC 2007

  “Another World is Possible” (Dunia Mbadala Yawezekana).
   Efforts to fight corruption and punish those responsible for ethnic clashes filled the atmosphere as the Kenyan delegates demanded for constitutional reforms. The Kenyans are demanding for the establishment of truth and reconciliation commission to deal with past and current political, social and economic crimes. “Another World is possible” with the alternative changes the leaders are demanding, the 2004 Nobel Laureate Prof. Wangari Mathai also led a petition to the African Union members for failing to honor their pledge of their annual budgets of 15% for health care.  The South African Nobel Laureate Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu, who signed on behalf by Prof. Mathai, also petitioned this by calling the African leaders to act fast and implement their pledges to reverse the trends of treatable diseases in Africa. Arguably, there is tragic death of 8 million Africans annually to preventable, treatable, or manageable diseases, illness and health conditions.

  This is the first World Social Forum I am attending, but I have also gone and attended many forums. What is important the awareness it raises at the local and regional level. Many people will now know there is a global movement that addresses African s’ concerns about health, environment and governance. At individual level, we will go home with something that will make each person say I came, I learnt and I will take action in this direction. In such gatherings I try to push for my deepest question of “How I can help myself at the same time help others”, I will be happy, if the action I take back home is to be more optimistic on how my community can get information through modern technology and many taking risks to do this combined goal through willingness.

  The need to address Africa debts took many with storm and people are asking IMF and World Bank to be more considerate with Africa in their assistance.Althouth this was in the opinion of many in the forum, the attendance were not very committed to share outside session rooms. This made me realize all orgs are out to scramble for remaining Africa natural resources. Socio-neo libre-orgs will be the same as the Europeans petitioning for Africa colonization.

  My first session was on media and to us another World is possible with best practices. Speaking at the media session was the director of Highway Africa News Agency (HANA), Chris Kabwato said there is urgent need to engage governments in media to best practices because Africans are now moved by Euro-Centric content and are reduced as consumers only not producers. Mr. Kabwato warned that some of the alternative Medias in Africa heavily relied on donor funding for their operations and this is very serious and dangerous because they are not sustainable. The governments in Africa to create indigenous media with cultural relevant content were Access of media, citizenship versus consumerism; the North/South relationship, hegemony, diversity and pluralism.

  In addition, in the media session, the director Inter Press Service Ms Farai Samhungu revealed that although IPS was formed with the Ideal of the South to generate homegrown news, the agency is still donor dependent for 43 years later. A communication activist as me, Mr. Jason Nardi from Italy spoke about the liberalization of media content production. He said that the modern information communication technologies such as the internet had enabled individuals to produce their own news culminating in an information society.

  To counter this we need communities to be able to create and exchange their own content and use different platforms Jon Barnes from the PANOS London said that his organization his organization identified weaknesses and challenges within the African media and began  redressing them. PANOS was engaged to building African journalists’ capacity to report effectively on trade issues especially at international level where there is dearth of African generated content.

  Lastly, participants of seventh World Social Forum are being requested to join the struggle for depth reform of system of international institution. The pursue of the goals requires a stronger and more democratic process from all stakeholders, it is good to share and do organize yourself as the rest.

  Hope the World Social Forum brings changes by implementation.
  From Samwel WSF 2007 Nairobi.

      Samwel Okech kongere
  Nyamuga primary school
  P.O BOX 191,
  MBITA  040305-KENYA.
  Cell: +254 725 600 439
  FOSS ADMIRER
  Community Development
  UDOGO youth development group-coordinator