[wsfii-discuss] Another Medi ais Possible

samuel kongere samkongere2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 13:45:51 UTC 2007

>From WSF,

  An alternative change melts every participants of the WSF in Nairobi, even though to most Kenyans life is miserable and you do not have to look for signs of poverty. Nairobi is home to 200 slums. Slum is life a way from the forums site and while discussing food security and sovereignty, we see bare seven-kilometer slum with young men and women are busy scratching out for a living. At a nearby market, James who sells chicken, said, “I know something is going on over there, but I really don’t know what it is”.
  Peter, an electrician, added.  “I would like to go to the Social forum and to be educated but getting there is very expensive to pay at the gate. I don’t have the money”. I was telling you the back street accountabilities to the forum.

  Poverty rages high even though Kenya government is saying the economy has gone up by 6%, Nairobi the capital is one of the poorest in the world, it presents a study contrasts; here there is great wealth, as well as deep poverty, with all the telltale of economy signs of  inequality that the forum participants want to wipe out. The UN ranks 152nd out of 177 countries in terms of human development and World Bank average annual income here $460.

  The message this forum conveys Is clear: it is time for the world to consider Africa for what it is-a continent in political and social turmoil. Nairobi will contribute this to happen, trying to restore the political dimension that Africa deserves, and prevent as merely a continent “to be helped” through traditional international cooperation policies. Nairobi 2007 also is chance to acknowledge the role of African social actors as promoters of innovation through their daily practices, which has been one of the goals of the World Social forum since its initiation.

  Community-level media is a  step towards democratization  but is not enough
..93% 0f the audience is still captive of the monopolistic structure of corporate media, we will make little change in enhancing media and communication.

  Samwel WSF Nairobi 2007

      Samwel Okech kongere
  Nyamuga primary school
  P.O BOX 191,
  MBITA  040305-KENYA.
  Cell: +254 725 600 439
  FOSS ADMIRER
  Community Development
  UDOGO youth development group-coordinator