[wsfii-discuss] Interesting article related to our discussion onself-organizing

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 05:23:31 UTC 2007

I have been to one BarCamp, held here in Mumbai. I
found the ability to choose my own time for speaking
my mind refreshing.

I was surprised to find that not a single techie
('well-educated', 'financially sound') was interested
in thinking about questions relating to social
development. I personally thought half an hour to
fortyfive minutes to discuss the subject should have
been enough to evoke some original questioning, but I
was wrong.

Obviously wsfii meetings attract a different kind of
personality. I don't know enough about BarCamp to know
why this is so.

Finding people to spend time on work is not difficult,
within the wsfii ambit. I don't think we spend enough
time on defining tasks that need to be done, at least
not here on this list. And if not raised here, then it
shouldn't be triggered elsewhere, unless this list is
getting dysfunctional. I don't think so.

--- Jeff Buderer <jeff at onevillagefoundation.org>

<http://www.worldchanging.com/archives//005952.html>.
> [...]
> draw many random
> conclusions, it still helped people connect at the
> event. ("Hi, my badge
> says you're my nemesis. We must fight! ...I mean, we
> must talk and
> figure out why we're opposites.")
>
> Some aspects of Foo would not scale to conferences
> of many hundreds or
> thousands of people. Sessions are only really
> discussions when they have
> fewer than twenty (maybe thirty) people in them;
> they work best with
> fewer than ten. This could be managed at a large
> conference, with
> minimal overhead, by having people sign up for
> sessions in advance. The
> anarchy of signing up to give talks was fun, and
> makes hosting the
> conference lower-overhead, but as one woman pointed
> out in the wrap-up
> session, the only people loudly cheering the anarchy
> method were
> six-foot-tall men. A less elbow-based method of the
> same thing would be
> to have a wiki online beforehand, where people can
> list themselves for
> talks. (This was sort of tried at Foo this year,
> though the online list
> didn't have any apparent effect on the real event.)
> This method could
> also help avoid the schedule-clumping problem, where
> one time slot may
> have three things you want to go to and the next
> slot may have none.
>
> You might think that only software-geek events like
> Foo could make these
> pre-conference online tools, but nowadays anyone can
> set up a social
> network and wiki with Drupal. Hosting a conference
> could be as simple as
> inviting a bunch of people, giving them directions
> to your backyard, and
> setting up the wiki for them to decide who talks
> about what when. This
> could be useful for highly-specific events run by
> brilliant people with
> no budget.
>
> The main advantage of an un-conference is that it
> helps build social
> capital among participants. In addition to the
> participatory sessions
> and collaborative / anarchic scheduling, there were
> places for people to
> do things together. One was a Make
> <http://www.makezine.com/> area where
> people could craft stuff together, get their photos
> taken with edible
> light <http://ediblelight.com/>, or get their laptop
> lids laser-etched.
> Another was the tremendously popular games of
> "werewolf", a game of
> trust and group dynamics (which is also fun and
> devious).
>
> While not every conference needs to be an
> un-conference (and some
> definitely shouldn't), some of its features could be
> designed into
> "normal" conferences to create more vibrant events

=== message truncated ===

Vickram