[wsfii-discuss] RE: Interesting article related to our discussion onself-organizing

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 9 06:35:57 UTC 2007

Hi,

Well, I went to a Foo/BarCamp, actually Liz Turner and I ran a miniature
'Sl at ckers S at lon' (tech-free chill zone around a Turkish samovar - tea
machine) and it was big fun - we even gave a talk on the concept.

The crux here is of course, 'no spectators, only participants'. Which very
much looks like the wsfii set-up anyway. Another point is numbers:
'un-conferences' scale up, but not all the way. Again, something wsfii -
for now - needs not to worry about. And then there is a question of
atmosphere/ attitude - wsfii-ers jolly spirits are on the good side again.

Reminds me a bit of the discussion around differences between GPL and CC
(Creative Commons): the former is more suitable where users and producers
are basically the same constituency, whereas the latter more befits a
divide between the two. There again, wsfii is rather 'GPL' than 'CC'.

So little to worry about, wsfii gatherings are already 'un-conferences' by
default. For an even better design, do read Jeremy Faludi's article!

cheers from Barcelona, patricio y los Dinosaures!

 Ian,