[wsfii-discuss] Interesting article related to our discussiononself-organizing

Jeff Buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Thu Jul 12 19:54:36 UTC 2007

Ian,

Thanks for the backgrounder.

I do think that there needs to be a balance in the sense of figuring out
a way to properly fund and sustainable a global network of innovators
and entrepreneurs promoting these kind of approaches and keeping it as
"open" as possible. Indeed I don't think the two are mutually exclusive
but some compromises will probably have to be made.

So the idea of WSFII infrastructure is about considering the need for
sustaining the operations of the networks (in every sense of the word
network) (helping local centers and networks become sustainable
financially), organization of the conferences (WSFII) and the funding of
expansion effort such as through Wireless Roadshows in Africa and other
parts of the world as well.

However as Krishna noted in his email the social is an important aspect
and that is typically disregarded by the mainstream technologists. I
felt like they did get this idea that it is not just about technology at
the Community Wireless Summit we both went to in May in Maryland and
there was some flexibility there in terms of the fact that it did not
take itself too seriously.

Jeff