[wsfii-discuss] NEWS from Ghana

Marco Pompe marco.pompe at web.de
Sun Jul 15 13:43:57 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am in Ghana since 3 weeks and find it quite difficult to do something about the tasks I have given myself, e.g. bridging the communication gap. I have brought up that point at the last (my first) SOS meeting, but we couldn’t really get to a point. U might guess that the problem is not only be solved by a new communication tool or method (we at least will find a way to get a bit closer), it needs affordable broadband access to bring Ghanaians closer to the global community. As far as I see the situation in Ghana many people are aware of the need of a national and continental backbone, but have no idea who will invest. They are referring to the “emerging market” but how often they might say it, the analysts will rather refer to the bare figures before an investment of that extend will be proceeded.

The Ghanaian Government wants to set up a wireless backbone for the ministries and governmental buildings throughout the country. Something similar I am currently discussing with rooftop organization of the Ghanaian co-operative movement. I believe that a national increase of network access and ICT activity will be necessary before any bigger investment is considerable. I am very committed to the co-ops getting involved on that level, as they have the potential to do it, and also because they are the ones to reach onto the bottom line of the society, means they involve even the poorest in their organizations and companies and give them the chance to participate.

Concerning WSFII Africa (2008?)
 I believe it needs more dedicated commitment by more WSFII members throughout the world alongside a certain concept for the WSFII Africa. It will definitely not be a “one (or two) man show” as we have seen from the latest development, so we will need some more shoulders. Also it will need a clear concept embedded in long term strategy for the need of integration. If it is not a single person providing a certain level of integration within a network, a clear idea/concept will have to do that job. As I believe we almost have that kind of idea/concept for WSFII Africa, it just has to putted together (or even updated), and I suggest that somebody takes advantage and works out a draft using the many sources available. Or else I suggest to do that in the SOS preparatory group. What do u think?

Greatings from Nungua, Ghana, Marco P.

*http://smartsurfer.web.de/?mc=100071&distributionid=000000000066* [http://smartsurfer.web.de/?mc=100071&distributionid=000000000066]