[wsfii-discuss] B.A.T.M.A.N.-Release-Party

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 17:45:38 UTC 2007

Congrats C-Base and all who have kept at this task. A
toast to you all, and earnest hopes for its continuing
success and progress.

Where does one find out how to port the Mac OSX
solution? Are there release notes in English?

--- Axel <axel at notmail.org> wrote:

> B.A.T.M.A.N.-Release-Party Wednesday 20. june at the
> C-Base in Berlin.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> [...]
>
> In Berlin we are now facing a phase in which both
> routing protocols will
> be used in parallel. Currently we are aware of one
> issue where this can cause
> problems. This is in case of OLSR-Internet traffic
> passing a dual-stack (OLSR
> and B.A.T.M.A.N.) node where the B.A.T.M.A.N daemon
> is configured for
> tunneled GW selection. Then each
> OLSR-towards-internet packet will be
> magically caught and warped to the currently
> selected (and maybe several hops
> away) B.A.T.M.A.N. GW. where the packets pop-up
> again and follow their usual
> path through the internet to their final
> destination. This has caused
> confusion since also programs like traceroute do not
> show the intermediate
> hops which the packet has passed (tunnelled)
> between the related
> B.A.T.M.A.N. node and the GW.
>
> This is because such a dual-stack mesh node (where
> the B.A.T.M.A.N daemon is
> configured for tunneled GW selection) consequently
> has two default routes.
> One due to OLSR and another due to B.A.T.M.A.N.. The
> thing is, that both are
> ending up in the same routing table and one of them
> (the latter) has a higher
> priority than the other. So every packet passing
> along with a destination
> address matching only the default entry of the
> routing table will end up in
> the tunnel to the currently selected B.A.T.M.A.N.
> GW.
>
> The Internet-GW selection mode of B.A.T.M.A.N. is
> optional and should be
> disabled or used with care especially on nodes with
> a dedicated RF-postion
> (and such used by many others as an intermediate
> hop) like churches and other
> high buildings. Enduser using Notebooks or PDAs
> should be able to use this
> feature without causing trouble.
>

> Outlook
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> In order to make the parallel deployment of both
> protocols even more smoothly,
> a number of new features have found their way into
> 0.3. Then it will also be
> possible to maintain and use a the OLSR and the
> B.A.T.M.A.N. default route in
> parallel.
>
> Therefore we will also release the first version of
> the upcoming B.A.T.M.A.N.
> generation (0.3 alpha).
>
> At the same time we already began working on the
> next generation of
> B.A.T.M.A.N. which will be called B.A.T.M.A.N.
> Advanced. It works on Layer 2
> and creates a virtual network switch of all nodes
> participating. It offers a
> bunch of new possibilities and features which wait
> for you to be explored. To
> offer you a stable plattform you can experiment with
> we will release 0.1
> alpha. We will also provide a set of tools (the
> B.A.T.M.A.N. toolchain -
> battool) to bring you in the position to observe the

Vickram